Sunday, September 9, 2007

Jules speaks out about her saucy love

"When I think of ‘sauce’, I am immediately transported to some of the happier moments of my life

- celebrating my 7th birthday party with a smorgasboard of party pies and sausage rolls, being shouted childhood lunches of hot chips and burgers on road-trips at Aussie takeaways, and of course my first ‘pash’ at Skate-plus followed by a tasty battered sav that I ate – all of these glorious moments were invariably commemorated with and consolidated by the delightful addition of the blessed condiment of TOMATO SAUCE – an festive and noble Australian institution that must be revered.



I cannot believe that this grand enhancer of foods is currently so unjustly under fire!



I ask you to think back to a time when you’ve been down in the dumps, under the pump or feeling just plain dull. Who was there for you? I’ll bet your bottom dollar that sauce was there. And sauce remains there for us - whether it be to smother a pie or just to squirt a little comfortingly on the side of a mixed plate of salad and BBQ foods. Sauce is a constant. Sauce loves. Sauce does not judge.



Recently, when one of our fellow Australians decided to season the national flag of our

good friends in the U.S of A,

he was indubitably only striving to add a little zest, flavor, and piquancy to the constitution.

We must rejoice in such a man and his sauce."



Julie Dunk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A small point - but an important one: Ms Jules mentions "road-trips" and "hot-dogs" - these are Americanisms and I would suggest that "going walkabout" and "battered savs" would be MORE AUSTRALIAN. (one can still squirt battered savs with copious amounts of tomato sauce) I'm on your side Ms Jules. I mean to be helpful.

Capital Ideas Australia said...

Thank you SC. You're quite right & we're sure that's what Ms Jules actually said. We will correct it straight away & go & beat whoever transcribed her words. x